EVE Blog Banter #25 – Human nature what art thou?
Welcome to the twenty-fifth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week or so to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
This month’s topic comes to us from @Tetraetc – “Tetra’s EVE Blog” – who asks: “Have Alliances and the sovereignty system limited the amount of PVP and RP potential in Null sec? Imagine a Null Sec where anyone could build outposts wherever. Would the reduction of the alliance game mechanic, and the removal of the sovereignty game mechanics (or the modifcation of it from Alliance level to Corp level for that matter) force more PVP into Null sec, or would giant power blocs like the NC still form themselves?”
Oh boy, the first Blog Banter I can join in. Of course I’d write an article!
Even if it should be about something I know next to nothing about like these humongous alliances which control New Edens vast 0.0 zones.
I’ve never been to Nullsec. Yet.
Luckily I know a bit about sociology and philosophy – I took several courses at University and yes, it was because of a girl, we were a couple for a short while, no, the story doesn’t have a happy ending, my ego suffered a bit but at least I picked up some education.
Anyways. What I am saying is that I can do this. I can actually say something about alliances in EVE!
So. I think I will have to start at the beginning which is the individual player.
My assumption which may be pure fallacy is that I can take every individual player and shove him kicking and screaming in one of several broad drawers:
Carebears. It’s EVE, I got to mention them. Irrelevant to my topic though - I’ll define these as players who treat the game as if it was single player and generally don’t like it if they get “interacted” with.
You have the regular dudes. They build stuff, explore, mission and even might fleet up and shoot people in these huge fleetblobs (100+) I hear so much about. I think EVE forum speak calls them carebears, too. I shall call them citizens.
Next are the soldiers. They like PvP. A lot. But they hate losing, so they make sure they always have the odds on their side and call this tactics.
Then there’s Dr. Evil. Psychotic, megalomaniac supervillains. I think you know what I mean.
And last but not least we have lone wolves. Channeling Mad Max. The misfits. They do it solo.
Note for the easily offended:
I am talking about playstyles as I have observed them in the last weeks, no personal reflections whatsoever are intended! I believe that most players are not what they play – I am no lone wolf in my real life but I really like that playstyle.
Now imagine a brand spanking new EVE with todays number of players. No one knows anyone.
IT’S THE AGE OF THE WOLF, MAN!
A golden age for the lone wolves. Everyone scatters before them while they roam freely, killing whom they please, whenever they like.
I think this is what’s lamented when someone says “solo PvP is dead” – if this mythic age ever actually existed I am not too sure about.
But in either case: soon it’s all over.
Soldiers start banding together and they start killing the wolves. Some might join up with the soldiers, others roam on, still admired because they are romantic figures, Quixotes, but largely without much relevance to the “big” stuff.
The move from single fights to proto-warfare is complete.
Citizens, too, form corporations for mutual protection and cooperation in this new environment where not a single killer is out to get you but a whole gang of them.
It’s just a question of time till “tribes” start cooperating as well. Much easier to kill of the other guys if you bring twice the numbers. Dr. Evil is born and with him alliances dominate all.
That’s today. Repeat the last two steps as Dr. Evil becomes even crazier. Only this time it’s alliances forming powerblocks.
So, to finally answer Tetraetc’ question:
I think this is a natural progression. If CCP were to restrict this with game-mechanics players would work around this and eventually form these powerblocks anyways.
I think it might actually be better to introduce an actual mechanic for them, so that “outsiders” can see who is in bed with whom but that’s a consideration far beyond my limited horizon regarding EVE.
So, I’ll just say all Empires fall eventually, either crumbling from within or because unwashed barbarian hordes come visiting.
Of course that’s when history repeats itself.
EVE can be seen as a quite interesting social experiment. Maybe there’ll be revolutions leading to democracies one day.
I’m not 100% on this but it seems to me that as far as systems of governments are concerned New Edens alliances are still stuck in the Godking-phase, so there certainly should be room for some evolution.
So, that’s it for my first Blog Banter. Here’s to many more to come!
- CrazyKinux’s Musing: EVE Blog Banter #25: And by Alliance you mean…..?
- BB25 What sov changes will come? | A Mule In EvE
- Confessions of a Closet Carebear: Alliances and Sovereignty
- Blog Banter 25: Nerfing Nulsec « OMG! You’re a Chick?!
- Have Alliances and the sovereignty system limited the amount of PVP and RP potential in Null sec? | Nitpickin’s
- Blog Banter #25: Alliance and Sovereignty Limiting PvP in 0.0? | Sarnel Binora’s Blog
- Blog Banter #25 – Mad Haberdashers
- Alliances and sovereignty | Eve Online Focus
- …Shall we not Revenge?: BB 25: What if the Alliance vanished?
- Blog Banter: Alliances and Sov
- EVEOGANDA: BB25: Sov ‘n Go!
- » TBG:EBB#25 – Alliances and Sovereignty To Boldly Go
- Freebooted: BB25: Leviathans of the Deep
- Wrong Game Tetra ~ Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah
- EVE Blog Banter #25 – Human nature what art thou? | Way of the Gun
- Who cares about Sov? – Hands Off, My Loots! ~ well sorta like an entry! :p
- The 25th EVE Blog Banter: Alliances and sovereignty – The Phoenix Diaries
- Achernar: The space commute
- Wandering the Void…my EvE musings. – Blog Banter: Alliances and sovereignty
- (OOC) CK’s Blog Banter #25: How To Break EvE. « Prano’s Journey
- Captain Serenity: Blog Banter #25 – Crappy mechanics
- Helicity Boson » Blog Banter #25 Nullsec and sov.
- BB #25 – “With whom lie the advantages derived from Heaven and Earth?”
- Boom! Hull-Shot?: It’s the End of the Eve as We Know It
- sered’s lives: EVE Blog Banter #25 – Size does matter
- 25th EVE BB – Medieval Solutions to Spaceship Problems | Inventions of a New Eden Industrialist
- Eve Blog Banter #25: “Have Alliances and Sov Limited PvP and RP in 0.0?” « Align Outbound
- Banter 25: Sovereignty, Alliances and Power Blocs | TheElitist
- Blog Banter 25 – But I just left all that! « A Scientist’s Life in Eve
- Nobody likes losing « One capsuleer against all
- >>>Vigil Ant: Alliances and SOV by Munny’s eyes.
- Latro’s Bunker: Blog Banter 25 -Nullsec and Sov
- A “CareBears” Journey » Blog Banner #25: Alliances and Sovereignty, and their affect on PVP and RP
- Blog Banter #25 – Unstoppable « Roc’s Ramblings
- Nobody likes losing « One capsuleer against all
- EVE Blog Banter on PVP in Null Sec « Evehermit’s Blog
- Sleepless in Space: Blog Banter #25: Moar Low Sec!
- Escape Velocity: BB#25: The Condition of Mere Nature
- Imagine a Null Sec…. « the hydrostatic capsule
- Blastrad tales » Coagulation
- Yosagi Yojimbo – Gallente Exile: EVE Blog Banter #25: And By Alliance You Mean Blob?
- More to come…